Tuesday, June 16, 2009

RIP, Heather

I learned today that a high school classmate died yesterday from "health complications." At our reunion five years ago, she had recently been hospitalized for taking too much Tylenol over an extended period. I think it did a number on her liver, but I don't know whether that was connected to her death.

The sad news came by way of Facebook: her husband posted a long status message. The widow of one of my fraternity brothers did the same thing. Another friend from college was posting updates from the delivery room (e.g., "still 4 cm, 80% effaced and started having contractions this morning right before being admitted. Now hooked up to IV and pitossin just started 5 min ago.") I'm not sure what to make of the combination.

Heather was a schoolmate of mine from much farther back than high school: she and I sat next to each other in Mrs. Powell's first-grade class. I can remember her seventh or eighth birthday party at one of Mobile's many skating rinks. She was so young, too young to die. She's my age, after all! I wouldn't mind if it turned out to be a sick prank. I guess that's a mild form of denial.

In pace requiescat.

No comments: